What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using PRTG for Email Deliverability Monitoring

Votes:

I’m trying to use PRTG to monitor our email server’s deliverability. There are a few data sources I‘m interesting in using, has anyone ever tried to integrate any of these?

1) Hotmail’s Smart Network Data Services. There is an automated URL where I can pull a CSV of that contains a number of different data points by IP address (IP, Date, # Emails Received by Hotmail, Complaint Rate, # Spam Traps, Filter Result (Green, Yellow, Red)). Is there any way PRTG can parse that data into different sensors? 2) Return Path’s Sender Score (a value from 0-100), the only way to get this number is to put an IP in a URL and screen scrape it out Ihttps://www.senderscore.org/lookup.php?lookup=xx.xx.xx.xx. Anyone ever mange to get PRTG to do that?

blacklist email ip

Created on Aug 2, 2011 9:06:22 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hallo,

you could use one of the mail round trip sensors to check your mailservers deliverability

Created on Aug 3, 2011 5:35:13 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

With regard to the SenderScore value, this is something I wanted to do to.

They have a DNS interface to this, if your IP address is 1.2.3.4 you do an NSLOOKUP on 4.3.2.1.score.senderscore.com and it returns a response in the form of 127.0.4.66 where the last octet (66) is your score.

It was fairly simple to turn this into a quick and dirty PowerShell custom sensor.

$response = Resolve-DnsName 4.3.2.1.score.senderscore.com
  $IPAddress = $response.IPAddress
  $octets = $IPAddress.Split(".")
  $output = $octets[3].ToString() + ":OK"
  echo $output 

Save this into the Custom Sensors\EXE folder as e.g. senderscore.ps1 and set up a custom sensor in PRTG. This could be polished to allow it to accept the IP address as a parameter, handle error responses etc. but it does the job for a simple case.

Tim

Created on Nov 10, 2015 3:45:50 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.