What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI print Queue Sensor and HP Printers

Votes:

Hello all,

I have a strange issue with my ability to monitor HP printers on my print server.

Whenever I add an HP printer sensor I get the following error message when trying to acquire status:

0:An exception occured while populating the properties for the PrintQueue object. Win32 error. Access is denied.

It would seem fairly obvious that there is a credentials issue, but it's not that easy.

I am able to monitor other vendors printers on the same server wihtout any issues, it is limited to HP devices. The security attributes between my xerox devices and my hp devices match, and the senors are setup to inherit credentials from the parent probe.

I know I have the Queue names correct, I used the PTF List Queues Tool, and everything is fine. Has anyone seen this before? It is rather frustrating, especially cause it is only HP printers that I am having trouble with.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hp printqueue prtg wmi

Created on Aug 3, 2011 2:07:54 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Please make sure that the credentials used have rights to manage both printers and documents on the print queue. Right click the printer object and select properties (security tab).

Created on Aug 4, 2011 8:03:13 AM

Votes:

Gerard, thank you for responding. The credentials we are using are actually the Domain admin creds, and I want to ask this...why can we monitor Xerox printers, but not HP printers, they both have the same security settings. I will double check though, thanks again.

Created on Aug 4, 2011 2:00:46 PM

Votes:

I have seen this error before on print queues with no physical device attached, like a fax-printer. So maybe it has something to do with the way the HP printers are connected to the network, that differs from the Xerox printers like a Jetdirect or other (non bidirectional) print-server. I also tested the sensor with two different HP printers in my network without any problem.

Created on Aug 5, 2011 8:12:39 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.