What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSH connection

Votes:

Hello,

I can SSH login, using Putty, to one of my Linux servers and everything is fine.

When I use the same credentials within PRTG to setup a file monitoring sensor I get "Logon failure unknown user name or bad password." error.

What am I missing?

Can you help please?

file-monitoring linux ssh

Created on Aug 4, 2011 3:00:15 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the file and folder sensors in PRTG all use SMB and Windows API calls, which won't work on Linux machines (and then also the security context in which the PRTG Probe Service is running, which probably won't be able to logon to a Linux host as well).

best regards.

Created on Aug 4, 2011 3:57:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

To try to get this to work I have mapped a Windows drive on my PRTG server to the Linux SMB share and can access it fine using the same user context PRTG is running under.

I have created a new Sensor to point to the file on the mapped drive but now I get an error says that part of the path is missing. Curiously in the error message the colon is replaced by a dot (don't know if that's relevant) So R:\filename.xxx is reported as R.\filename.xxx in the error text. I am using 8.4.2.2380

Any ideas?

Created on Aug 4, 2011 4:08:33 PM

Votes:

Please try running the PRTG Probe Service under another account as well. The colon being replaced by a period is only an internal issue to avoid HTML-Problems.

Created on Aug 5, 2011 1:47:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.