What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notifications for Multiple Sensors on One Device

Votes:

I have some devices that have multiple sensors (for example PING, & FTP) and I want to setup a notification for each such that if PING goes down then the FTP sensor will pause until PING is backup, and I will received a notification email. However, I also want to receive email notifications if FTP goes down.

Basically the question boils down to whether it is possible to have multiple notifications for each device that are dependent on different device sensors.

notifications prtg sensor

Created on Aug 10, 2011 5:09:12 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

just add a state Trigger on the device and set the Ping Sensor to be Master for parent object in the dependency-options on the Settings-tab of the Ping Sensor. This way, if the ping fails, it will pause any other sensors on the device, and you will only get a notification from the ping sensor that it is down. If any other service (for instance the FTP) fails, you will get a notification from the according sensor, as the State Trigger should be inherited from the device to all the sensors.

best regards.

Created on Aug 10, 2011 5:16:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.