What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I use dynamic values for Geo Maps location?

Votes:

If possible, I would like to "insert" (or have PRTG fetch) Geo Maps location data dynamically.

The reason is that my locations are non-static (ships) and it would be nice to have their current position displayed in the Geo Maps.

I could easily extract GPS-data from equipment onboard, and then perhaps make some script to punch in the geocodes into PRTG, but since the device configuration file (.prd) isn't really humanly readable, I'd need a few pointers on how to accomplish this.

What do you think?

dynamic geo-maps location prtg

Created on Aug 12, 2011 1:28:09 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You could change the location of the device using the API

Please use the following API call:

http://<yourserver>/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=<objectid>&username=<youruser>&password=<yourpassword>&name=location&value=<location data>

You can alos supply a passhash instead of your password. Please take a look at the API documentation for more details.

As of PRTG Network Monitor 13.3.5.2576 or later, there is a new API call to set the geo location of an object: /api/setlonlat.htm?id=<objectid>&username=<youruser>&password=<yourpassword>&location=<name_of_object_location>&lonlat=longitude,latitude Provide the object ID together with the parameters for location and/or longitude and latitude.

If only the location parameter is given, the Core Server will excute the geo location lookup (this can last up to three minutes). Provide the name of the location, e.g., "New York". It will be shown in the Location settings, no matter of longitude/latitude.

If the longitude/latitude parameter is given, the marker in the map will be set to this position, no matter of the location parameter. Provide longitude and latitude separated by a comma, e.g., "-73.998672,40.714728".

Created on Sep 9, 2011 10:47:20 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 10, 2014 10:28:33 AM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In what format geocode location should be entered?? If we use someting like 51.938895, 4.403718 nothing is shown on the map.

Created on May 1, 2013 12:56:09 PM

Votes:

The geocode format you state is correct - in the current version of PRTG it correctly resolves to an address in Rotterdam.

If you enter coordinates and nothing happens on the preview map, please update to the latest PRTG version. We improved this feature with PRTG version 13.2.3.1896/1897.

Please supply a location (e.g. postal address, city/country) or geocode (latitude and longitude, e.g. "40.714728,-73.998672"). This information will be used to set a marker for geo maps. Any adjusted marker position will be reset if you change text here. Note: For best results, please enter a postal address in the format: street, city, country

If you still do not see your geo information resolved on the map, please make sure the PRTG core server can connect to the external servers used for geo resolution. For details, please see Which domains and ports does the GeoMaps feature use?

Created on May 2, 2013 8:30:00 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on May 2, 2013 8:32:47 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.