What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Method to include text in notification from a site or file

Votes:

Hello all,

Our developers have built a new website which displays the results of a process which monitors a bunch of custom values within our application. So we can hit a URL internally that will display either "success" or "failed: ERROR TEXT". I can easily monitor this page with an HTTP Advanced sensor to determine whether or not the application has passed it's internal checks. However, I would like to have the ERROR TEXT included in the notification email somehow.

Is there some way to do this? Can I pull text from a webpage to include? For that matter, can I include text from a file? The second question occurs to me after seeing the "store latest HTML result" option under the HTTP Advanced sensor settings, which would place the error message in a text file on the monitoring server.

Thanks for any suggestions!

custom-notification http-sensor textfile

Created on Aug 12, 2011 10:40:49 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I ended up using the "store latest HTML result" option to place the needed message in a text file. Then I set up an EXE notification which would run bmail.exe (a freeware, command line SMTP client) to send that text file to the proper email address.

As a feature request, it would be nice if the email notifications had an option to include a file attachment. I could think of a few different situations where this would be useful. But for now this solution works for us.

If anyone can think of a more elegant solution I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Created on Aug 15, 2011 4:18:09 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Brett,

you can try using the %message-placeholder to include the sensors message in the notification. But otherwise it's not possible to include anything else in an email-notification. Only maybe links to the particular website itself, or to the sensors logfile.

best regards.

Created on Aug 15, 2011 1:02:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I ended up using the "store latest HTML result" option to place the needed message in a text file. Then I set up an EXE notification which would run bmail.exe (a freeware, command line SMTP client) to send that text file to the proper email address.

As a feature request, it would be nice if the email notifications had an option to include a file attachment. I could think of a few different situations where this would be useful. But for now this solution works for us.

If anyone can think of a more elegant solution I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Created on Aug 15, 2011 4:18:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.