What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I find all interfaces with Errors/Discards

Votes:

I'm looking for a quick way to find all sensors that shows any errors/discards. Please advise how I could do it. Thank you.

error prtg snmp

Created on Aug 25, 2011 2:25:30 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

this is only possible if the "Discards in/out" or the "Errors in/out"-Channel is set to be Primary Channel on the SNMP Traffic-Sensors. Then you can use the following URL to see which sensors right now have the highest values on Discards or Errors (depending what's the primary channel):

https://MY_PRTG/sensors.htm?sortby=-lastvalue&filter_type=snmptraffic&display=201

If you want a report, the requirement is still one of the two to be Primary Channel, and then you can create a new report with one of the "Top 100 Highest/Lowest"-Averages-Templates.

best regards.

Created on Sep 9, 2011 3:36:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Using your webbrowser, navigate to:

http://yourserver/group.htm?id=0&gototab=5

Or use the API to generate a xml document that contains the information you are looking for. For documentation on how to use the API please navigate to:

http://yourserver/api.htm

Created on Aug 25, 2011 5:02:09 PM

Last change on Aug 25, 2011 7:40:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

this screen shows alarms, i.e. i need to set limits for error channel on each sensor and it won't catch single errors. I need a screen with all sensors (or top 10) that reported errors during certain period of time. Such screen exists on Solarwinds and let me quickly see all interfaces with problems.

Created on Aug 25, 2011 7:51:24 PM

Votes:

Anyone have an answer for this? I'm looking for the same thing.

Created on Sep 9, 2011 12:21:32 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

this is only possible if the "Discards in/out" or the "Errors in/out"-Channel is set to be Primary Channel on the SNMP Traffic-Sensors. Then you can use the following URL to see which sensors right now have the highest values on Discards or Errors (depending what's the primary channel):

https://MY_PRTG/sensors.htm?sortby=-lastvalue&filter_type=snmptraffic&display=201

If you want a report, the requirement is still one of the two to be Primary Channel, and then you can create a new report with one of the "Top 100 Highest/Lowest"-Averages-Templates.

best regards.

Created on Sep 9, 2011 3:36:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any change here? I need to be able too see/recive an mail when I get any input/output error or discards on a interface.

Created on Nov 25, 2014 2:22:09 PM

Votes:

This is still the same. You can now use Libraries though, have all SNMP Traffic Sensors in one, and create a notification on the Library to easily alarm on any SNMP Traffic Sensor, where Errors / Discards go over 0.
It still requires the according Errors/Discards-Channel to be the Primary Channel though.

Created on Nov 25, 2014 3:31:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have created a Library, and wanted to follow the last advice on this thread. I understand, that the Errors channel should be the Primary Channel, but one problem is that The Errors has 2 Channels: Errors In, and Errors Out. Unfortunately there is no way to make both of them primary.

Do you have any advice on it?

Created on Sep 26, 2017 2:03:37 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the KB-Post SKulcsar, I'm afraid my last response wasn't really exact there. If you are looking for notification alerts (email, sms, etc.), changing the Primary Channel is not necessary. As an alternative, define Error / Warning - Limits in the https:www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_channels_settings.htm of the Traffic Sensors, and use a State Trigger on the Library.

This will set the traffic sensors into error state if error in/out are measured, and then the state trigger will be activated.

Created on Sep 26, 2017 3:48:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately I would like to make the notification different in these two cases: - One kind of notification, when the interface has high error level. - Other notification for any other issue with the interface, when it goes to down state also. (Now there is a state trigger defined for all interfaces).

The main reason why I would like to use the Library, and the Threshold Trigger, because it would make possible to delay the error alerts. (e.g. make alert when the interface error is above 20 for 30 minutes, then generate notification)

Could you please give an advice for it? Thank you!

Created on Oct 19, 2017 1:27:51 PM

Votes:

SKulcsar, You can still do that quite easily. Just use Warning-Limits for the Errors in/out, and accordingly use a State Trigger on the condition "Warning". This means you can use a different notification (as it's a separate Trigger) for the Errors in/out, than when the interface is actual down.

Created on Oct 20, 2017 10:39:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.