What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to disable 'Paused by Dependency' and 'Resumed by Dependency' notifications.

Votes:

The monitored network has a core switch connected to multiple edge switches. All the switches are monitored by ping sensors and the edge switch devices are dependent on the core switch ping. So if the core switch goes down I dont get a mailstorm from all the edge switches - works fine. The problem is: If edge switch goes down and sends a down notification, and then sometime later while the edge switch is stil down the core switch misses one ping reply, I get 2 more notifications; One to say 'Paused by Dependency'; and the other to say 'Resumed by Dependency'. And that will happen every time the core switch misses a single ping reply - until the edge switch comes up. I don't need to get notifications for 'Paused by Dependency' and 'Resumed by Dependency'. How do I turn them off?

dependency notifications pause resume

Created on Aug 29, 2011 1:26:21 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Stephen,

I'm afraid it's not possible to disable certain 'Off-Notifications', however you could try using a higher ping count on the ping sensors (especially to the Core Switch) so that a single lost packet does not make such a big impact.

best regards.

Created on Aug 29, 2011 2:03:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.