What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Network Bandwidth by Subnet

Votes:

I have a Hyper-V VM running Exchange 2007 in an environment with a few WAN links connecting separate subnets. We are looking to move this exchange server to a hosted environment so my goal is to determine Bandwidth utilization for this exchange server by Subnet so we can plan our network topography accordingly.

Unfortunately the routers connecting each WAN link are owned by the telco and I'm told that flow-based monitoring is not an option.

I looked at WMI/SNMP which appear to allow me to tell the amount of throughput on the VM's NIC but doesnt allow me to split it out by Source/Dest Subnet.

Packet Sniffing seems like it could work but it presents some challenges because the links connecting the Hyper-V host to the Switch/SAN are Aggregated LACP links (ie 4 nics "trunked" together to form 1 big redundant link) and due to the other VMs hosted on this Hyper-V Host - if i use Port-Mirroring I'm going to get ALL the packets for ALL the VMs across all 4 LACP links. phew. that would be a lot of data.

This product does a lot but due to these unique circumstances I'm unable to identify a real solution to find what I need. Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks for your help!!!

bandwidth lacp network-monitoring subnet virtualization wan

Created on Sep 7, 2011 12:02:48 AM

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 10:34:20 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

you could install a Remote Probe inside the Exchange Server VM and then do the packet sniffing "locally" inside the VM.

best regards.

Created on Sep 7, 2011 2:45:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.