What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I run reports with quarterly period (or any other custom period) automatically?

Votes:

I need quarterly reports for my customers. But PRTG does not directly support quarterly reports.

I want to trigger report generation with specific timeframes/periods automatically.

How can I do this with my own script?

api pdf prtg reporting

Created on Mar 16, 2010 9:26:11 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Mar 16, 2010 1:13:48 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Using the API

Our recommended option is to use the "Historic Data" Function of the API. For more information, see PRTG Manual: Historic Data.

Using a "Hack"

Another option (which we would not fully recommend, because this interface may change in future versions) is:

To trigger reports with custom time periods from your own script or application you must call a URL that looks like this:

http://yourprtgserver/generatereport.htm?id=2233&specific_period=0&report_period=manual&manual_period_start=2010-01-01&manual_period_end=2010-03-31&report_processing=report_pdfandmail&[email protected]&username=usrename&password=password

The parameters are:

ParameterDescription
idReport ID
report_periodMust be set to "manual"
manual_period_startStart date in format 2010-01-01
manual_period_endEnd date in format 2010-03-31
report_processingSet to "report_pdfandmail"
report_emailaddressTarget Email Adress for the report

Created on Mar 16, 2010 9:37:59 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 12:33:05 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

What kind of report_processing are available ? The default seems to be report_html, but would it be possible to generate and store the html automatically on a server.

We need a daily report generated on demand (after our deployment), spanning the last 36h, and we'd like it to be generated automatically x hours after our deployment. Can we do that directly ?

I noticed that the call to /generatereport.htm redirects to /api/genreport.htm, what is the parameter periodoffset ? sudo wget -x -r --no-check-certificate --directory-prefix=report-2016-02-23-test-2 'https://prtg.example.net/api/genreport.htm?id=921&periodoffset=2147483647&repstart=2016-02-22-17-00-00&repend=2016-02-23-22-00-00&login=report&passhash=01230123'

Created on Feb 25, 2016 4:09:21 PM

Votes:

Hello tbl-ldc,

This automatic triggering and saving to a specific location can't be done through the API directly. As for the report_processing I 'll ask the developers what the available options are and post them here as soon as I have feedback.

Parameter periodoffset is always applied when using one of the offered periods from the dropdown in the UI or when using one of the buttons (Today, last 24 hours, last week etc.) it will be written into periodoffset containing an integer representing past periods based on the current time. For fixated Start-/Endpoints it has to contain 2147483647 (highest possible 32bit integer).

Kind regards.

Created on Mar 1, 2016 4:34:13 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.