What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SOP To Get Win Perf Counters

Votes:

What is the routine to add a sensor that is a Windows Performance Monitor Counter but not in the list of PRTG sensors?

Thanks

monitor performance windows

Created on Sep 16, 2011 4:45:05 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found a bunch more under WMI Vital System Data

Created on Sep 19, 2011 5:03:30 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

I ran into an issue where I wanted to see a perfmon counter in PRTG as well. I used TYPEPERF from the command line to get the information and then had someone write an EXE to provide that information in a clean format to a Custom Sensor for PRTG. It wasn't perfect, but it works for me.

I'd love to have the ability to browse the perf counters on a specific server from within PRTG.

Created on Sep 19, 2011 12:53:04 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I found a bunch more under WMI Vital System Data

Created on Sep 19, 2011 5:03:30 PM

Votes:

There are a lot of counters that are used just for troubleshooting purposes. Under these circumstances creating custom sensors is more trouble than the troubleshooting.

Other systems take advantage of MS opening up this stuff and let you browse counters as if you were at perfmon on the server. I wonder why it can't be done here?

Created on Sep 20, 2011 5:53:47 PM

Votes:

This is actually considered, but seeing as one can hardly say Perfmon is an 'easy tool' to use or understand, respectively the thousands of counters it is able to show, with many having very similar names, we simply don't want to make things more complicated than they already are.

Created on Sep 21, 2011 9:54:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please don't attempt to save us from ourselves by hiding counters. The lack of easy access to the counters is keeping me from purchasing the product.

I am not a coder. I can go into perfmon, create a log and output it to an html page faster than I can create the EXE.

Created on Sep 27, 2011 8:05:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.