What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

others in the Toplist

Votes:

Hello, at the last week I was apresented the PRTG for my custumer and some question grew.

why the "others" always appears as number 1 at the toplist connections ? I've checked the link below but my question is:

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/553-what-does-the-other-entry-in-my-topconnections-toptalkers-mean

for exemplo, I have a Interface serial netflow sensor with data filter only that interface. when I go check the toplist connections "Others" almost always is the first.

the same situation accur in Historic Data. the column others (speed) sometimes appear as higher. is very strange say that "others" is who more is spends bandwidth!

what is the better number for toplist ( for default it is 100 top ) when I have 130 workstation behind of the router that is been monitored ?? maybe change from 100 to 200 !?!?

what can I lost change the toplist ?

any tips is welcome.

thanks

netflow-v5 prtg8 snmp

Created on Sep 21, 2011 2:59:28 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

with 130 workstations there can be a lot of connections, way more than the default limit of 100 entries in the TopConnections, and therefore all the connections beyond 100, even though they may be small in volume each, together can grow to a very large volume, which takes place number one. You could try shorter Toplist Periods (5 minutes), or larger Toplists (maybe both). Please also bear in mind, 'Other' in the sensor results does not refer to the same as 'Others' in the Toplists. In the sensor results other means traffic protocols not detected by PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Sep 21, 2011 4:30:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thank you ,

" Please also bear in mind, 'Other' in the sensor results does not refer to the same as 'Others' in the Toplists. In the sensor results other means traffic protocols not detected by PRTG "

are you refer to the grath generated in Historic Data ? when I generated this report it shows me there was moment that "others" was spends 1,7Mbps is very high!

maybe I have identify what are that protocols in the sensor chanel definition ?!??!

how can I send a screen from that report ??

thanks

Created on Sep 21, 2011 5:15:00 PM

Votes:

Hello,

please see large "other" category in netfow

best regards.

Created on Sep 22, 2011 12:13:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.