What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Traffic "In" vs Traffic "Out"

Votes:

Can someone help confirm the direction of Ethernet Interface traffic?

Is Traffic "In" traffic that's coming from the connected device INTO the port, and Traffic "Out" traffic that's flowing out of the switch TO the connected device?

direction ethernet traffic

Created on Sep 21, 2011 10:17:23 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

usually "Traffic In" is traffic coming into the monitored interface/port.

best regards.

Created on Sep 22, 2011 12:20:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Piggybacking this question I would like to insure that when you say coming IN the interface as opposed to going OUT the interface the perspective is from the device itself. So example if I have a sensor assigned to my Internet interface on my FW when I am looking at Traffic IN that it is showing my potentially traffic coming from the internet into my firewall and conversely I look at Traffic OUT that is showing traffice from my firewall to the internet.

Created on Apr 17, 2013 9:29:28 PM

Votes:

That is correct, this is seen from the device.

Created on Apr 18, 2013 12:20:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.