What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Switch's

Votes:

I'm just getting started with the network monitor. I put in 6 ips for discovery. 3 servers and 3 switch's. It didn't pick up any switch's. What am I doing wrong? They are Cisco 2960G series switch's.

cisco monitor switchs

Created on Sep 23, 2011 9:35:10 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

is the SNMP community set correct in PRTG

is SNMP enabled on the switches

does the switch accept SNMP requests from the PRTG server IP

please check SNMP connectivity, using our free SNMP Tester.

https://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester

Created on Sep 26, 2011 5:15:07 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I downloaded the SNMP Test Tool. I'm not sure what settings to use. In section 1 is asks what version to run in the drop down. In section 2 is asks for several parameters for which I have no clue what options to put in. (32 bit traffic, Custom OID, Read Dev Uptime, Scan Available, Scan OID's, MultiTest). Can you guide me?

Created on Sep 26, 2011 1:13:55 PM

Votes:

Just enter the IP of one switch, and choose the correct SNMP Version and community string. Then run the "Scan available standard interfaces".

Created on Sep 26, 2011 3:59:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok that worked, so obviously SNMP is working. Wonder why PRTG network monitor can't see the switch's ?

Created on Sep 26, 2011 6:02:07 PM

Votes:

Please make sure that PRTG set to use the same SNMP Settings as the Tester, because technically they are the same. You can also send us the log from the Tester and a screenshot of the error in PRTG, when you try to add an SNMP Uptime Sensor manually in PRTG.

Created on Sep 26, 2011 6:59:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.