What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Exchange 2010 Delivery Queues

Votes:

Dear all, we have set up a new Exchange system with 2 sites and 2 CAS/Hub Transport servers per site. As with Exchange 2003 it was quite easy to monitor the delivery queues. I tried the included Exchange 2007 WMI sensors, but as i far as i see, they cover queue length on Mailbox servers only. This is quite interesting as well, but delivery queues to external mail server would be much more interesting. Do i need to code an own sensor or am i missing something? If i need to code a sensor on my own, is there somebody out there who did this already? I think this is a very common problem. Thanks in advance!

exchange-2010 prtg queue

Created on Sep 27, 2011 9:46:30 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have developed a solution that will return the number of elements in the queue beneath some other interesting parameters like when was the last run of full/incremental backup, if the databases are mounted correctly, if the backup is currently running and so on.

Altogether, the following Exchange Server sensors are currently available in PRTG:

• Exchange Backup (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Database (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Mailbox (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Mail Queue (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Public Folder (Powershell) Sensor
  • WMI Exchange Server Sensor
  • WMI Exchange Transport Queue Sensor

For details, please see PRTG Manual: List of Available Sensor Types—Mail Servers Sensors.

Created on Mar 1, 2012 3:10:00 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 8, 2014 5:01:50 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

13 Replies

Votes:

Are you still running PRTG v8? If so, please upgrade to the current PRTG version. There is a new WMI Exchange Server Sensor (using a different method) which works on all Exchange versions. PRTG queries your Exchange server and will automatically show all available performance counters.

For details, please see PRTG Manual: WMI Exchange Server Sensor

Created on Sep 29, 2011 10:05:13 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on May 8, 2014 5:04:01 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for reply! We just upgraded to newest PRTG Version, but we can't find anything regarding delivery queues. On our CAS/HUB Transport servers we can see many performance counters regarding RPC requests and latency and so on and also some values regarding the database, but nothing about delivery queues. Any other suggestions?

Created on Sep 29, 2011 11:30:29 AM

Votes:

For a better understanding could you please point out the names of these Counters together with their respective Classnames as shown in the Windows Performance Monitor.

Counters like "SMTP Server: Local Queue Length","SMTP Server: Local Retry Queue Length","MSExchangeIS Mailbox: Send Queue Size","MSExchangeIS Mailbox: Receive Queue Size" and many more like it should be available, if present on the Targetcomputer.

Please crosscheck with Windows Performance Monitor.

Created on Sep 30, 2011 2:13:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please have a look onto the following screenshot Screenshot Perfmon CAS/HUB

All my needed counters are in the object "MSExchangeTransport Queues".

I think this would be a nice addition for all those Exchange admins around, because it helps you to identify very fast if there are any problems in your outgoing mailflow.

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend and and even nicer public holiday for you who are German out there :-)

Created on Sep 30, 2011 3:01:57 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the feedback, we've put it on the task-list ;).

Created on Oct 4, 2011 11:46:13 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on that topic? Maybe a rough expectation about the release date?

Created on Nov 28, 2011 2:54:36 PM

Votes:

Is there now a solution?

Created on Feb 20, 2012 8:42:26 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have developed a solution that will return the number of elements in the queue beneath some other interesting parameters like when was the last run of full/incremental backup, if the databases are mounted correctly, if the backup is currently running and so on.

Altogether, the following Exchange Server sensors are currently available in PRTG:

• Exchange Backup (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Database (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Mailbox (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Mail Queue (Powershell) Sensor
  • Exchange Public Folder (Powershell) Sensor
  • WMI Exchange Server Sensor
  • WMI Exchange Transport Queue Sensor

For details, please see PRTG Manual: List of Available Sensor Types—Mail Servers Sensors.

Created on Mar 1, 2012 3:10:00 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 8, 2014 5:01:50 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Due to the new release cycle mechanisms, it is unclear for me, when these new sensor might be available. Could you give us a brief expectation, when these features are available?

Thank you in advance!

Created on May 11, 2012 8:58:00 AM

Votes:

Hi,
we are planning to release the requested sensor in the next 4 to 5 weeks.
Best regards

Created on May 11, 2012 9:10:55 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi are there any updates on this need to get this sorted asap

Created on Jul 18, 2012 11:16:58 AM

Votes:

We just updated to 12.3, I still do not see transport queues on the list of available WMI Exchange sensors. Which version will these sensors be added to and when will this happen?

Created on Aug 8, 2012 7:03:21 PM

Votes:

Hi,
the transport queue sensor is already implemented in the preview release of PRTG. This preview release will be rolled out as stable sometime next week.
Best regards

Created on Aug 9, 2012 6:18:26 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.