What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG 9 Webinterface recommended Browser

Votes:

In Version 8 you recommended to you Firefox to get best results in navigating the WebUI.

What about Version 9? Still Firefox the best Solution? Any difference between different Browsers at all?

prtg web-gui web-interface

Created on Sep 28, 2011 2:33:51 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

for PRTG 9's AJAX-web-interface our "first choice" for the browser is Google Chrome (versions 10 and newer). It's simply the fastest in terms of processing AJAX-Content. 2nd place goes to Firefox (version 4 and newer) which is almost as fast as Chrome and as capable. That's basically all, we really do not recommend using IE 9, it's numerous times slower and not as capable as the other two. Older version than IE 9 are not supported at all for the AJAX-Interface of PRTG.

As of 2014 and for PRTG 14, today's browsers: IE 11, Firefox 31 and Chrome 36 are almost equal in their performance and capabilities. And should all be capable of rendering PRTGs AJAX Webinterface without issues or huge delays.

best regards.

Created on Sep 28, 2011 5:14:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 29, 2014 1:30:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I noticed this article from 2011 after my Paessler Certified Monitoring Professional exam.

Is this claim still valid? I noticed that Internet Explorer 11 is almost twice-as-fast as Chrome 36 in the WebKit Javascript benchmark (http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html)

Internet Explorer 11 shows: 197.0ms Chrome 36 shows: 387.1ms Firefox 31 shows: 332.4ms Opera 23 shows: 330.4ms (faster is better)

Microsoft made significant progress in IE 10 and higher, perhaps this claim should be modified to "PRTG recommends any modern and standards compliant browser"

Created on Jul 28, 2014 6:33:21 PM

Votes:

The response from 2011 was only in reference to PRTG 9 and the available browsers at that time. For today's browsers your statement is correct, IE 11, Firefox 31 and Chrome 36 are almost equal in their performance and capabilities.

Created on Jul 29, 2014 1:28:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for the update in this article.

You are writing "The response from 2011 was only in reference to PRTG 9 and... "

I understand this, except in the PRTG exam i did last-week, I got a question regarding supported browsers and the correct answer was still Chrome. Also multiple articles on this site are showing the same support info regarding IE, eg: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/213-what-is-the-best-web-browser-for-prtgs-web-interface

The reason I'm trying to get the correct information is that our customers are asking why they are recommended to use a third-party-browser when using PRTG. I would like to prevent old information from clouding todays reality.

Thanks

Created on Jul 31, 2014 12:00:30 PM

Votes:

We still recommend using Chrome over all of the other browsers due to it's ability to quickly and reliably render our AJAX interface. IE 11 will now work but it doesn't change our recommendation.

Created on Aug 1, 2014 2:02:09 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.