What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to create a custom Map icon?

Votes:

I am trying to create a custom map status icon that shows only the name of the device/sensor with a background that changes color to reflect the current status. The goal is to create a NOC view that allows someone from across the room to recognize when a device drops out of a Green state. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

customization maps prtg status-icons

Created on Sep 29, 2011 7:45:36 PM

Last change on Oct 5, 2011 7:31:53 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

8 Replies

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 9 or later

Map Object with Status Related Background

In the next version (buildnumber > 1660, will be available through AutoUpdate in the next days) we will add a sizable icon which displays the sensor status (or the aggregate status of a device or group) in the background color. Map object name is Sizeable Icon on Status Related Background (in the Status Icons section of the map objects).

For example this map uses the new map object (the boxes can be resized in the map editor):

New Map Object sample Large image: http://i53.tinypic.com/vhg6di.png

Created on Oct 4, 2011 9:02:54 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Dec 1, 2011 9:50:51 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I see where I can do this, but it includes the # of sensors when I use the device, or if I pick a specific sensor, it includes the name of the sensor, which I do not want. I am looking for some way to create a small box (150x50px) that I can add text to that will turn to the correct color of the status. Is there a way to do this? I want to be able to supply a map to our school districts that lets them know what the status is of their servers, but I don't need alot of fancy info, just color and a little text.

Created on Oct 11, 2011 6:26:57 PM

Votes:

Appreciate the newly added feature in response to my first post. Very close to what I was envisioning. However, ideally it would do this at the device level, not only the individual sensor. Hoping for something simple like this:

Simple NOC view

For example:

• Device 1
    • Sensor 1: Ping: Up
    • Sensor 2: Disk Free: Up
    • Sensor 4: Memory: Warning
    • Sensor 5: HTTP: Paused The map icon would show Yellow for Warning.
  • Device 2
    • Sensor 1: Ping: Up
    • Sensor 2: Disk Free: Warning
    • Sensor 3: Memory: Up
    • Sensor 4: HTTP: Down The map icon would show Red for Error.

Is there any way to achieve something of this nature?

Created on Oct 17, 2011 5:44:09 PM

Votes:

We also wanted to achieve what you want and have done it in this fashion:

1. Create a Sensor factory Sensor that errors when one or more sensors are in an error state.

2. Set the channel definition to:

#1:Device Health status(sensorid) OR status(sensorid) OR status(sensorid) OR …. Etc. 3. Name the Sensor the display name you want on your Map (i.e. the device name)

4. Create a custom webobject to display the name on a status related background and place it in the …PRTG Network Monitor\website\mapobjects folder, name it something like “Zcustom – Name on Status Background.htm”

<!--Custom Status Icons: Sizeable Name on State Background-->

<div class="map_object map_icon2 map_icon_med2  map_iconcolor_<#sensor type="colorclassofstate" id="<@objectid>">" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
	<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
	<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
	<span>
        <#objectstatus name="Name" id="<@objectid>">
	</span>	
        <#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

5. I have made a couple of changes to the customer css to display the name a bit larger than the default (using the map_icon_med2 tag in the above) so you need to add the following to the customer.css (you can play with this if you want to change the fonts and size) :

div.map_icon_med2,div.map_icon_med2 div,div.map_icon_med2 span,td.map_icon_med2
{
	font-size: 35px;
	font-weight: bold;
	padding-left: 1px;
	/*padding-right: 10px;
	margin-right: 30px;
	margin-left: 10px;
	margin-top: 2px;
	margin-bottom: 25px; */
}

.map_icon_med2 div.moreicon
{
	display:none;
}

.map_icon_med2 div.status
{
	font-size: 30px;
	font-weight: bold;
}

6. That's it! You just have to go into map editor and select the Sensor factory probe for that device you created and then drag your custom webobject onto the map.

Created on Nov 30, 2011 10:37:12 PM

Last change on Dec 1, 2011 9:52:54 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

@jhimes: We have extended this feature to devices, probes and groups with the latest build (1899/1900), available through Auto Update now.

Created on Dec 1, 2011 9:51:57 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

@peterb: You really got into this. Great work! It's nice to see customers taking our bricks and build a different building out of them :-)

I would rather not use this concept extensively though, because the sensor factory sensors can consume many CPU cycles. But for a handful of sensors this should not be a problem at all.

Created on Dec 1, 2011 9:55:20 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Is this object in the latest version?

Created on Jan 27, 2018 2:08:02 AM

Votes:

Hi Sandro,

Sure it is! Please find the map object under "Status Icons -> Sensor message only on Status Related Background".

BR
Andreas

Created on Jan 30, 2018 9:38:12 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.