What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQLspXML.EXE Login failed for user ...

Votes:

Trying to use SQLxpXML.EXE to get some data from SQL Server, I'm getting constant errors. What have i done: - changed PRTG services to run under user account - set "Set placeholders as environment values" - security is on "Use security context of probe service"

It' looks like that EXE is trying to connect witg some diferent username to SQL that it's set in parameters "-d=master -sp=prtg_getdbsize -s=Computer -u=UserName -p=Password"

PRTG Network Monitor 9.1.0.1581, OS Is Windows 7 64bit - I'm testing freeware sollution

exexml sql sql-server-login

Created on Sep 30, 2011 6:56:20 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Version 8.0.2 of the sensor is online now with the following changes:

• Changed: dropped the "environment placeholders" support, all parameters need to be supplied through the command line now.
  • New: option to use SQL authentication. (by default Windows Authentication is used now)

Created on Oct 3, 2011 12:34:49 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

can you manually run this executable with these parameters on the PRTG host?

best regards.

Created on Sep 30, 2011 12:47:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, If I run it manually it returns XML from my stored procedure, I'm logged in as same accoutn as prtg probe service runs.

Created on Sep 30, 2011 12:52:06 PM

Votes:

A few thoughts:

Is the prtg_getdbsize procedure created in the master database like your parameters suggest?

Do the credentials that you supply have enough rights to execute the storred procedure in that database?

Do any of the parameters contain a white space? If so, the parameter must be supplied between double quotes like

-d="my database"

What errors do you exactly get?

Created on Sep 30, 2011 1:07:51 PM

Votes:

No whitespaces,.. interesting is, that I get login failed for user "'password\username", I have no idea how it's constructed from my parameters to the sql server login,... hm, hm,..

Created on Sep 30, 2011 1:43:58 PM

Votes:

The domain name as entered in the devices windows credentials (or inherited from its group) is prefixed to the username.

Username and password can be overwritten by the optional -u= and -p= parameters, domain name (if not left blank) is always prefixed

It looks like you have entered the password somewhere in the domain name setting.

Created on Sep 30, 2011 5:00:00 PM

Votes:

I have deleted device and reconfigure everything, carefully made domain, username and password inputs. Standard SQL sensor works, but when setting up XMLCustom via SQLspXML.exe, error stays the same... PS I've intentionally typed wrong password, then I got "Access denied. Please check your Windows credentials. (code: PE095)", ..

Created on Oct 3, 2011 6:33:36 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Version 8.0.2 of the sensor is online now with the following changes:

• Changed: dropped the "environment placeholders" support, all parameters need to be supplied through the command line now.
  • New: option to use SQL authentication. (by default Windows Authentication is used now)

Created on Oct 3, 2011 12:34:49 PM

Votes:

Done update server (from 9.1.1.1620 to 9.1.0.1581) and update custom sensor to 8.0.2 and now it works! :)

PS I tried to pick up values from remote SQL server, created same sensor, with same parameters (just change -s= to remote name), than I got login failed "DOMAIN\Username" (no longer PASSWORD\username), ... which is strange because it should use native sql authentication, but anyway I can use domain privileged user (like admin) for workaround, ...

Tnx, for help!

Created on Oct 3, 2011 1:47:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.