What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What has changed in Packet Sniffers between PRTG 8 and PRTG 9?

Votes:

We use custom packet sniffer sensors in version 8. I see that the packet sniffer engine has changed to winpcap in version 9, and that content packet sniffer sensors are no longer supported. I wanted to check before we upgraded whether there are any issues with upgrading custom packet sniffer sensors with these changes, or if there is any change in the syntax for filters or custom channels in version 9.

What I see in the manual makes it look like it is the same as version 8, but I wanted to verify before we attempt an upgrade.

packet-sniffing prtg winpcap

Created on Sep 30, 2011 1:42:37 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

With PRTG 9 the low level capture driver has changed from a proprietary solution to the industry standard WinPCAP.

This change required to discontinue the (rarely used) content sniffers.

For the normal (custom) header packet sniffers the syntax stays the same. There are a few new fields and support for IPv6 but these are are fully backward compatible extensions.

Created on Sep 30, 2011 1:43:03 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Aug 5, 2015 12:22:21 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.