What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

log messages displayed in a map

Votes:

Hello,

I'm working on getting a map made that would display the overall health of a system. One of the requirements I've been handed would be that it shows the last couple of messages sent to syslog and eventlog type sensors.

I know there's nothing that does this yet in the pre-made map objects so I'm looking at editing one of them to better suit my needs. Currently though I'm not seeing a way to get an object like a Top10 list to only look at 1 sensor, and display multiple results from it. All I have seen is that each sensor just gets one line.

If you have any tips for displaying a bit more of a history of a sensors data in a table please let me know.

Also, considering how customizeable and modular PRTG is, maybe in the future you'll open a community area that would allow us to share things like custom sensor scripts and map objects.

Thank you,

Jonathan

display log maps message

Created on Sep 30, 2011 4:00:54 PM

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Jonathan,

create a new file "%PrtgInstalPath%/webroot/mapobjects/tablemessages.htm" (example) with the content:

<!--Data Tables: Messages Table-->

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<#checkobjecttype objecttype="probenode,group,device,sensor" nicemessage="true"  id="<@objectid>">

<div class="top10listcontainer" style="overflow:hidden">
<#table tableid="sensortable"
	id="<@objectid>"
	content="messages"
	columns="datetime,sensor,status,message"
	sortby="-priority"
	infoheader="false"
	links="true"
	sortable="false"
	count="10"
>

</div>
<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

After that you should see the new map object in the category Data Tables on the map editors right pane. If you want to show more than just the last 10 messages, change the value of count="10". For more options and parameters you can take a look at http(s)://yourprtgip/api.htm

Created on Oct 3, 2011 9:54:31 AM by  Daniel Elsner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 9, 2016 11:14:08 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the quick reply. I managed to coble together a much more basic map object with a few hours work, but your's is much more friendly to more then a single sensor so its got alot more uses.

One thing I found with both your sensor and the one I was working on is that when I place a file named "tableX.htm" in the folder, the map designer gets confused and instead of showing the correct name from the first line of the code, just copies the name of the sensor that loaded alphabetically before it. In this case it was the tablechannels.htm sensor that it borrowed the name from, though the actual code for the object was correct, just makes them harder to find.

My solution was to just put them in the Custom HTML group which doesn't seem to have this same issue. I'm guessing it is just a bug in my PRTG 8 version, possibly fixed in PRTG 9 I just haven't upgraded yet.

In case others are interested, here's the code I created to display the messages of a sensor, with 500 messages listed, good for using with Syslog and Event log sensors.

Best regards,

Jonathan

<!--Custom HTML: Sensor Messages-->

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<#checkobjecttype objecttype="sensor" nicemessage="true"  id="<@objectid>">

<div class="top10listcontainer" style="overflow:hidden;background-color:#fff;">
<b><#objectproperty name="Name" id="<@objectid>"></b>
<#table tableid="messagestable"
        id="<@objectid>"
        content="messages"
        columns="datetime,message"
        sortby="datetime"
        sortable="false"
        links="false"
	count="500"
        >

</div>
<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

Created on Oct 3, 2011 3:41:07 PM

Votes:

Jonathan, just a "tip" 500 is a very high message count in this case, and can lead to serious performance issues (as PRTG has to load these 500 messages from hard-drive every time), especially if you have several sensor which use this map-object.

Created on Oct 3, 2011 3:53:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, this custom object shows the Log Messages of Syslog. Is it also possible to show the incoming messages(Syslogmessages) from any device on the map (Top10List). When it's possible, what i have to change?

Daniel

Created on Sep 9, 2016 9:09:43 AM

Votes:

Hello Daniel,
thank you for your post.

This is not possible I'm afraid, even the solution proposed here is already a workaround and not officially supported.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 9, 2016 11:15:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

The custom object, only shows logs messagens of the sensors, not the syslog messages.

Thank you for trying to help us.

Created on Oct 14, 2019 11:15:33 AM

Votes:

I am also in the process of creating a special map. And found these comments. I also want to output syslog messages. Is there meanwhile a possibility to output them?

Created on Mar 29, 2023 8:05:14 AM

Votes:

Hello Lina,

syslog or trap messages cannot be showed on the map. The reason is that those messages are not stored on the core server, instead on the remote probes. That means that standard tables have no access to that data. The sensors use a special table which is not available for the map editor.

Created on Mar 30, 2023 11:16:15 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.