What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Access Points on Cisco 4402

Votes:

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get PRTG monitoring Wireless AP's connected to my Cisco 4402 Access Point Controller.

I have used MIB's downloaded from Cisco's website for the device and converted them to SNMP libraries for PRTG using the MIB importer. The imported libraries seem to work, however I have a problem which is that I can't identify the AP's I'm monitoring from the actual sensor.

If I add a sensor from my SNMP library (say to monitor tx/rx bytes or connected clients), it's added to the device in PRTG as "clap ethernet if: 164.12.195.145.255.224.0", which isn't relative to the AP in any way I can see. As you can see, I can monitor an AP, but I have no idea which one of the 50 or so connected AP's it is.

Would anyone be able to help me at all?

Many thanks.

PRTG Version - 9.1.1.1644 on Win 2008 Server Controller firmware - 7.0.116.0 MIB Used - CISCO-LWAPP-AP-MIB AP Model - 1131AG AP Firmware - 12.4(23c)JA2

cisco snmp wireless

Created on Oct 7, 2011 1:28:51 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello!

Why you does not monitoring APs by it's IP address? We have 15 AP with static IP address and all works fines.

Also I can share my custom script for counting active authenticated & unauthenticated AP clients.

Created on Oct 13, 2011 5:43:26 AM

Votes:

Hi,

These musn't be Cisco Lightweight Access Points. These AP's such as the 1131 we're using do not support SNMP monitoring directly, it's done through the controller.

Thanks.

Created on Oct 13, 2011 6:07:15 AM

Votes:

Hi Gennady

Can you share with me your custome script for counting active authenticated & unauthenticated AP clients.

Thanks.

Created on May 1, 2014 5:59:23 PM

Votes:

Hi @Gennady,

is it possible to provide us your custom script for monitoring active authenticated & unauthenticated AP clients?

Thanks in advance.

regards

Created on Jun 30, 2014 1:49:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.