What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Network Monitor + sFlow in H3C switches with VLAN

Votes:

Hi,

I´m a new customer, using the Trial version in a Win7 box. The thing is, I´m trying to get sFlow data that a H3C S5500 switch is providing, but when I set the sFlow sensor in PRTG it show "no data since startup". Using Wireshark, I can see the sFlow packets arriving in my NIC, so why the PRTG is not getting this data? I´m using a different software for comparison purposes and this software can read the sFlow data coming from H3C swtich. My topology is: H3C switch is in VLAN 7 PRTG box is in VLAN 4. No firewall between. I can read SNMP data in PRTG.

Any thoughts that could help me?

Thanks a lot.

h3c sflow vlan-interface

Created on Oct 7, 2011 4:19:28 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

please use our Sflow-Tester to verify that the incoming sflow-packets are compatible to PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Oct 7, 2011 4:21:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Torsten,

Thanks for your fast reply. I´ve ran the Sflow-Tester for 20 minutes, here are the results:

(1)Sflow version: 126 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
(2) IP Source: 126 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
(3) IP Version: 126 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
Samples: 616
(4) Sample Format: 0 OK  ---------- 616 FAILED
(5) Source ID / Sequence: 0 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
(6) Data Format: 0 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
(7) Ethernet Type: 0 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED
(8) Protocol Type: 0 OK  ---------- 0 FAILED

The box UDP Packet received got the IP address of the switch The box Decoded Flows stay empty.

Well, with the information provided in the SFlow-Test, item 4 - PRTG supports sampples in 'Flow sample format'. 'Extended flow' and 'Counter' formats are not supported, can I assume this is why my PRTG is not getting the data???

Created on Oct 7, 2011 5:40:29 PM

Last change on Oct 10, 2011 12:48:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, you are correct.

Created on Oct 10, 2011 3:56:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply Torsten!

Is there any future plans for PRTG accept the "extended flow" format ? Or any way to configure the actual version to interpret it ?

Created on Oct 10, 2011 4:34:40 PM

Votes:

@marcelomaciel: We do not have appropiate hardware in our lab unfortunately. If you are willing to help us test it with a private test build, please contact [email protected]

Created on Oct 12, 2011 8:51:44 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.