What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I modify PRTG's report templates?

Votes:

I want to change the following aspects of a report:

• Header image
  • Contents of header / footer
  • Order of report elements
  • Graph sizes

How can I do this?

how-to modify-templates prtg reporting template

Created on Feb 2, 2010 2:17:32 PM by  Roland Grau [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 15, 2010 4:00:18 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 17.4.35 or later

Modify Report Templates

PRTG Network Monitor includes a powerful reporting engine that allows to generate a variety of reports in order to review your network's data the way you need.

Important

This Knowledge Base article was written for technically savvy users with good technical knowledge (especially as regards HTML and file templates). We do not encourage modifying the template files that come with PRTG!

The reason is that we cannot supply updates and/or bugfixes for template files that have been changed by users when we publish new versions of PRTG. Also, editing template files is not covered by our usual support offering due to the complex nature of this process.

Our recommendation is to stick with the report options included in the web interface unless it's unavoidable. Please see the manual section Reports to check if you can create your reports with the functionality provided by the web interface.

Still Want to Proceed?

However, if you still want to change templates, this article cannot go into every detail, but it will give you a brief overview of the possibilities you have, in order to do the following:

Make a backup of every file you are going to change!

Using Custom Filenames

Every time a PRTG update is installed, all template files are overwritten to provide updates and bugfixes for these files. This is one reason why modifying report templates is not officially supported.

Report templates, images, and include files are located in the \webroot folder of your PRTG installation directory and spread across several subfolders. Whenever you install a PRTG update, all original PRTG template files are overwritten.

To avoid losing your changes, please create your own report template files with different filenames: simply duplicate the file that you want to start from and give it a different name. To keep changed images, please write-protect them using Windows Explorer.

Note: The folder has changed as of PRTG version 13.2.3. In previous versions the folder is \website. Please see this article for more information.

Locating the Files You Want to Modify

A template consists of several template files. When creating a report, the web engine pastes all of these files together into one HTML file to generate the report. In the \webroot\reporttemplates subfolder of your PRTG installation, locate the main report template file of the report you want to modify.

You can identify a template in the source code of the HTM file: The name as it appears in the PRTG web interface is written in the first line (as an HTML comment). The format is category: name.

The template or sub-template file will contain the following:

• printheading.htm: the visible header
  • printfooter.htm: the visible footer
  • <#report> tag: defines a sub-template to be included in the name attribute, for example <#report ... name="details\Graph plus 30day graph and Table.htm"...>

Note: Please make sure you do not make changes to printhead.htm or printfoot.htm as these do NOT include the visible header/footer but only styling and closing tags.

If you cannot locate the heading or the footer in the main template, consider looking in the sub-template in the \webroot\reporttemplates\details subfolder of your PRTG installation.

See Also

Created on Feb 2, 2010 2:46:06 PM by  Roland Grau [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 23, 2018 12:35:29 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi I created a custom report template, but it doesn't appear in the Web GUI, even after reloading the GUI and the PRTG server.

Created on Oct 25, 2012 8:17:27 AM

Votes:

Please make sure that you have the latest version of PRTG running, and also that the Template name was changed after editing the file.

Created on Oct 25, 2012 2:51:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Why are these references now forbidden?

Created on Dec 1, 2017 5:25:17 PM

Votes:

bsteinsierra, I'm sorry it seems we missed publishing these articles. Allow me to check with our documentation team. The articles should be available within the next days, please bear with us.

Update: The linked pages should be accessible now. I apologise for the hassle and thank you for the notice.

Created on Dec 4, 2017 1:58:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 4, 2017 2:29:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.