New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

150.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

Which audible notifications are available in PRTG? Can I change the default sound?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

What sounds can I play in case of an alarm (for example, if a sensor is "Down" or in a "Warning" status)?

How can I change the default sound that I hear in my browser when viewing the PRTG web interface or the Enterprise Console?

alarm alerts audio enterprise-console notifications prtg sound web-interface

Created on Oct 12, 2011 11:08:48 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 10, 2013 2:34:17 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 9 or later

Sound Alerting in PRTG

There are several possibilities to play a sound when there is something going on in your network that needs your attention:

• Sounds in PRTG Web Interface
    • On dashboards / all pages
    • When viewing Maps
  • Sounds in PRTG Enterprise Console
  • Note: The Audible Alarm function is currently not available in our PRTG apps (PRTG for iOS, PRTG for Android, PRTG for Windows Phone).

Web Interface

Sounds in the web interface are embedded using HTML 5. This is supported by, e.g., Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox 4 or later, Internet Explorer 9, 10, or 11, and Opera 11.51 or later.

On Dashboards / All pages

In the User Account Settings of a PRTG user account you can specify Audible Alarms. You can set this to either play on dashboard pages only, or on all pages.

When logging in to the PRTG web interface with this user account you will hear a default sound in your browser whenever there is at least one sensor shown in your Alarms list.

When Viewing Maps

You can create sounds within maps for specific objects. While viewing this map, an alarm sound will be played in your browser if this object is in an alarm state.

In the Maps Designer, in the Properties selection, open the Status Icons section and select Status and Audible Alert (If Alarms > 0) from the list. Apply this object to an item on your map (drag and drop it on the item), and you're done.

Change the Sound

Using HTML 5, PRTG embeds the sound files beep.ogg and beep.mp3 from the /webroot/sounds sub-folder of your PRTG program directory (in /website/sounds before PRTG version 13.2.3). In order to change the default sound you can replace these files by your custom ones.

Note: When using a cluster installation, please replace the files on all cluster nodes.

Enterprise Console: Tray Icon

The Enterprise Console can play sounds differentiated for new alarms, new log entries, and new ToDos. You can simply specify the behavior as well as a custom sound in the Enterprise Console Options.

Created on Oct 12, 2011 11:41:33 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 9, 2015 9:05:42 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

It would be great to be able to use sounds from elsewhere on your mobile device in PRTG as the default tones are not aggressive enough to wake me

Created on Oct 19, 2016 2:35:56 PM by  jenloveday (0)

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.