What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Connection reset by peer (socket error # 10054)

Votes:

Dear support,

The sensor tested is "HTTP ADVANCED" and it shows the error "Connection reset by peer (socket error # 10054)" How can I solve this? Could you please help me?

Regards, Natasha.

connection http-advanced prtg9

Created on Oct 18, 2011 11:57:26 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

10054 means:

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote server or application. This normally results if the remote server/application is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close. This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress.

Anyway, it seems that the remote host has suddenly stopped and killed the connection.

Could you describe the network path from the probe to the website you are trying to monitor?

Created on Oct 18, 2011 1:41:31 PM

Votes:

An HTTP sensor started failing after updating from v14.1.8.1371 to v14.3.11.2750, the solution was to rebuild it as HTTP Advanced sensor and use the Compatibility engine as monitoring engine in the settings.

Created on Aug 27, 2014 3:59:26 PM

Votes:

Just installed 22.3.78.1873. All HTTP sensors running on agents started failing. I had to uncheck "Inherit SNI from parent sensor". I had to change 51 sensors one by one. Some warning before those changes would be appreciated.

Created on Sep 10, 2022 11:38:36 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that your sensors stopped working after the update. We indeed fixed an issue with the inheritance of the SNI in version .77 of PRTG which can change how the HTTP sensors work. However, note that we indicated it in our release notes: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/stable.

Regarding the SNI inheritance parameter, it is now too late but you have the possibility to use the multi-edit feature of PRTG to disable it for multiple sensors at once. To do so, go to Sensors > By Type > H.. > HTTP and then select all the sensors by using the check box.

Afterwards, open the Settings menu by using the "wrench" icon in the blue bar located on the right. You should then find the parameter SNI Inheritance that you need to activate to be able to select the option "Do not inherit SNI from parent device". When saving the modification, PRTG will apply it to all selected sensors.

Regards.

Created on Sep 13, 2022 12:18:44 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.