What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to use Sensor Factory to only give error when two sensors are in error?

Votes:

I am using the IMAP Round Trip sensor to monitor our outbound email sending. I have 2 sensors set up, one using GMail and one using AOL. Currently if either one is in error I get notified even if the other is working. AOL is flaky at times and is usually the one erroring out, but GMail is not 100% accurate either, hence using both sensors to monitor outbound.

I would like to set up a Sensor Factory sensor that monitors both IMAP sensors and only alerts me if both of them are in error. I have tried adding the downtime channels of each and checking if it's over 0 but I never get any data on my sensor.

Is there any way to have an alert trigger only if two sensors are in error?

alerts multiple-sensors sensor-factory

Created on Oct 20, 2011 7:15:26 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

please take a look at the

Define Sensor Status—status() Function

section of

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/sensor_factory_sensor.htm

status(2031) AND status(2044)

This will change the factory sensor to a Down status if both sensors, with IDs 2031 and 2044 , are Down . Otherwise the factory sensor will show an OK status.

Created on Oct 21, 2011 6:53:29 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. That looks to be a new feature as of PRTG 9. I just updated yesterday and it's there now.

Works perfectly for my situation.

Thank you.

Created on Oct 21, 2011 4:18:29 PM

Votes:

I have a Sensor Factory of 8 Sensors. I want the Factory goes on warn if 2 sensors go down. And i want the Factory goes on error if 3 or more goes down. Any ideas?

Created on Mar 23, 2016 2:26:41 PM

Votes:

Hi Capo,

This will work best with the new Busniess Process Sensor. You can add all eight sensors and define the percentage of failing sensors to either set the sensor into a warning, or into an error status.

This is also described in this article.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 24, 2016 6:33:07 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.