What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using SNMP to grab a string value?

Votes:

I would like PRTG to use SNMP to grab a string value from a specific OID. I have it setup as a custom SNMP sensor, but the device is returning a 'non-integer error'. Is there a way for PRTG to grab a OID that carries a string value?

oid prtg snmp string

Created on Mar 18, 2010 9:54:00 PM

Last change on Mar 19, 2010 9:33:06 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yes, this is possible. For SNMP string values, there is a special sensor available.

In PRTG's web interface, add a new sensor and select SNMP | SNMP Custom String.

Created on Mar 19, 2010 8:08:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 19, 2010 9:32:57 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

How does this work? I add custom string and it monitors wether specific custom string is returned or not. That's not what I need. I need to extract integer information from string and chart based on that information. So I need to extract "25" from "25 Centigrade" and cast it to integer and then make chart based on those values on each polling interval. Is it possible?

Created on Apr 13, 2010 4:02:19 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it's not possible to 'extract' a number from a String monitored with SNMP. You may be able to do this using a custom script, which requests the string, and only passes on the number to PRTG.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 13, 2010 4:21:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.