What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Checking all "sub-instances" of given SNMP OID

Votes:

Hi I would like to make certain, if the following ability is available in Network Monitor - I need to check status of physical drives in HP Proliant server (it's good example). There is MiB with OID, which allows for it - "cpaDaPhyDrvStatus" - 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.6. But to successfully use it, it's necessary to add to the OID, the specific instance of given physical drive in particular server. So it's hard to configure such sensor in device template, as every server has different number of drives and different numbers used to describe it's drives (for example 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.6.228, etc.). My question is - is it possible to configure sensor which checks all instances of given OID? I know some monitoring solutions have such ability and it's very useful.

Best Regards Martin

instance oid snmp

Created on Oct 31, 2011 1:10:56 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid that isn't possible (yet) but you could add a check and a sensor create entry for each individual OID, including the necessary index value at the end. PRTG would check against the entire list but only those OIDs that are available would be added as sensors.

Created on Nov 9, 2011 2:38:44 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Create a device with two drive sensors, then let PRTG create a device template for you. Open the device template in a text editor and clone and adapt the check and create entries for as many drives that are possible. If you set the IDs, OIDs, displaynames and check dependencies correctly, this should work as intended.

Kind regards,

- Volker

Created on Nov 10, 2011 12:23:08 PM by  Volker Uffelmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When will this functionality be available? Most freeware monitoring solutions even have this capability and this particular feature has actually been a critical determining factor in the loss of at least 3 separate huge monitoring engagements at the Corporate level.

Created on Aug 31, 2014 3:56:32 PM

Votes:

Hard to tell when it will actually be included in the stable release version. The function is, however, already implemented in internal versions, so it shouldn't be too long until this is also available in an Alpha / Beta release. Please bear with us.

Created on Sep 1, 2014 1:55:51 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Thank you very much!

Just knowing it is coming is plenty for me. Of course the sooner the better but that is exactly what I needed to know. The fact that I have something to relay to those interested is the main thing!

Created on Sep 2, 2014 1:58:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.