What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor SNMP return special value

Votes:

Dear support,

We have a device that we query using SNMP, we use a MIB and the SNMP Library type sensor.

We are able to get the value, MIB is working. But what we get is :

'26% - Database capacity usage is OK' is not a valid integer value

But the value is followed with another status which is - Database capacity usage is OK

Of course PRTG is not happy with that and cannot graph this value properly.

Can we tell to PRTG to only consider the first 2-3 value in string to display a graph? Because 26% is the value I would like to graph.

Thanks

prtg snmp snmp-library

Created on Nov 2, 2011 8:23:47 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sorry, parsing string values to numeric ones is not possible with PRTG.

Often, devices provide those values additionally as integer (at a different OID). Please check if your device acts this way and use an integer counter instead.

Created on Nov 2, 2011 3:16:04 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Dear Sir,

I got a look on the new features of PRTG 9 and I've seen that there's now a SNMP String sensor....is this address my problem maybe ?

Thanks

Created on Nov 4, 2011 10:47:51 AM

Votes:

hallo,

you can check for a certain text in the string, so it could certainly help you.

see

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/snmp_custom_string_sensor.htm

Created on Nov 7, 2011 8:01:00 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.