What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Access denied error for WMI query

Votes:

Hi,

My PRTG server is part of an AD domain and i have problems with WMI for workgroup servers that are not part of this domain. No problem with the servers within the domain. I have tried using the WMI test tool and i got the error "8007005:Acess is denied error". i'm using the local administrator account for the credentials.

With the help of the knowloedge based, i have verified that port 135 is open, “ForceGuest” is set to “0” and windows firewall is disabled. Furthermore, i have added the admin account to the DCOM user group and the Performance Monitoring Group. Under the DCOMCNFG, i have check that the DCOM user group has remote launch and remote activtion set to "Allow".

The weird thing is that i can run the query successfully if i execute the tester locally from the client server itself but got the error when launching the tool remotely from another server

kindly help

Thanks Thomas

error prtg wmi

Created on Nov 14, 2011 2:15:05 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Please try using "localhost" as domain name - does that help?

Kind regards,

- Volker

Created on Nov 17, 2011 2:42:17 PM by  Volker Uffelmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.