What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe Top Talkers

Votes:

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to create a remote probe on one of the remote sites and then run a bandwith monitor on a second nic card to find top talkers over an mpls link (switch has been configured correctly)

The remote probe seems to be working, and is displayed in the main Admin console, since then i have created a packet sniffer sensor (header and content) but the data being displayed seems to only be relevant to a 192 and 169 networks - not the core ip addressing. I have checked that the network card has port mirroring configured correctly using wireshark and this displays the expected traffic - any ideas?

Tim

port-mirror remote-probe top-talkers

Created on Nov 16, 2011 10:11:37 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Tim,

which exact version of PRTG are you running?

best regards

Created on Nov 21, 2011 1:20:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

The version is •PRTG Network Monitor 8.4.2.2357

Thanks

Tim

Created on Nov 22, 2011 8:29:54 AM

Votes:

Are there any filters set on the Packet Sniffer Sensors?

Created on Nov 22, 2011 3:09:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

No there has not been any configured, on the setting tab - include and exclude has been left blank and the interface that we are expecting to monitor is ticked.

Created on Nov 22, 2011 3:23:09 PM

Votes:

One thing I have noticed which I hope is not an issue - I have not assigned the interface an IP address as it is purely for monitoring. I have tried with the TCP/IP stack installed and without but each time the same issue is apparent

Created on Nov 22, 2011 3:35:11 PM

Votes:

We can't say for sure if not having an IP is an issue. Could you try verifying this by applying an IP? Furthermore, would an upgrade to PRTG 9 be an option (as PRTG 9 uses Wiresharks Winpcap-engine)? You can also enable the Stream-Logging and check the log then for the traffic but this might only show the same as in the sensor results.

Created on Nov 22, 2011 4:00:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.