What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device Status OK although all Sensors are down?

Votes:

Hi there

Is there a way to make the status of a Device-Object mirroring the status of its sensors?

I am trying to attach our Paessler (which monitors the network) to our Operations Bridge (which aggregates all our IT's monitoring) via Paessler-API with HTTP-Queries like https://paessler.mobi.ch/api/table.xml?content=devices&output=xml&id=0&columns=device,status&filter_tags=WbWAN. But even if a Switch or Router is down and all its Sensors are red, the device' status is still up: <item> <device>WAN-Router DIR Eigerhaus (ip-mobi-ch-brn-r-012)</device> <status>Up</status> <status_raw>3</status_raw> </item>

This is not a API-specific-problem, the normal Web-GUI reports the same "OK"-Status (see attached screenshot). It is just less important as you see the All-Red-Sensor-List below. (and no, the "Master Sensor"-Feature does not help me - if a Device is not reachable, its status should be "not ok" and not "paused" and I can't treat all paused objects as "not ok" - as this Status also reflects planned maintenance, changes etc.).

Is there any way to have the Device-Status reflect the true Status of the Device? Thanks in advance and greetings from Berne

Stefan Mueller

(Paessler was upgraded from v8 to v9.1.3.1793 on Saturday, but this changed nothing with the issue)

device prtg state

Created on Nov 21, 2011 10:11:40 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Stefan,

Using the API, you can use the device ID to get a status list of all sensors for that device.

/api/table.xml?content=sensors&output=xml&id=[deviceID]&columns=status

Replacing [deviceID] with the actual id of your device will get you something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <sensors>
   <prtg-version>9.1.4.1840</prtg-version>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
    <status_raw>3</status_raw>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
  </sensors>

Next enumerate through the <status_raw> nodes and if all are down (status = 5) report the down status to your Operations Bridge.

Regards,

Created on Nov 22, 2011 8:52:53 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Stefan

I'm sorry, but this is not possible.

best regards.

Created on Nov 21, 2011 5:21:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Stefan,

Using the API, you can use the device ID to get a status list of all sensors for that device.

/api/table.xml?content=sensors&output=xml&id=[deviceID]&columns=status

Replacing [deviceID] with the actual id of your device will get you something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <sensors>
   <prtg-version>9.1.4.1840</prtg-version>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
   <item>
    <status>Ok</status>
   </item>
  </sensors>

Next enumerate through the <status_raw> nodes and if all are down (status = 5) report the down status to your Operations Bridge.

Regards,

Created on Nov 22, 2011 8:52:53 AM

Votes:

Thanks a lot - I hoped that I would not have to go through such a thing, but as long as Paessler does not support the first approach, I have to write something like this... (or I go down, rename and re-tag all the relevant sensors and let the operations bridge access sensor-status instead of device-status...

Created on Nov 23, 2011 12:39:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.