What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notifications For Logfilereader.exe Addon

Votes:

This isn't Dana, but anyway...

I have set up a custom sensor using a PRTG addon called logfilereader. It can scan a file and will return a value of "2" if it finds a new instance of whatever string you specify. I configured it look through Oracle alert log files every four hours, and if it finds a new instance of the string "ora-" (indicating an error), then a notification is triggered and an email is sent out.

I am using a threshold notification that sends out an email if the value is equal to 2, and that usually works fine. However if the next scan four hours later also returns a value of 2 due to another new instance of the string being found, then no notification takes place. I guess this is because the value hasn't changed since the last scan.

I also tried using the channel configuration to set up a warning limit of 1, so if the sensor returned a value of 2 the sensor would go into a warning state, and I configured a state trigger for that, but it too doesn't work if the value 2 is returned in consecutive scans.

Is there a way to make it trigger another alert in this type of scenario, or is there some better way of doing this?

addon logfilereader notification prtg

Created on Mar 22, 2010 10:04:47 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You could add an escalation to the notification trigger. That way you would continue to receive notifications at specific intervals until the sensor goes back into an UP state.

Created on Mar 23, 2010 3:56:54 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Mar 23, 2010 4:05:56 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.