What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I identify each router that sends netflow data

Votes:

I have seperate routers configured to send netflow data to a specified IP address, and I have setup PRTG NM to monitor that IP address. How do I configure PRTG NM to identify the data per router?

netflow prtg prtg-network-monitor tcp xflow

Created on Mar 23, 2010 4:01:49 AM

Last change on Mar 24, 2010 12:45:12 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello.

Currently the Netflow sensors have a "Sender IP" setting that you can use to bind each individual flow origin to a sensor, so you could create various Flow sensors using the same port and PRTG would use the Sender IP of the flow to account the correct data into each sensor.
Nothing stops you however from using 4 different UDP ports and leaving the "Sender IP" blank, that way all flow data on the port will be taken into account.

But, if the geographic locations are far apart (High latency) we recommend setting up a remote probe close to the Flow generating device to be the flow collector.

For further details, please check our manual pages on the flow sensors:
Netflow V9 Sensor - Manual Page
Netflow V5 Sensor - Manual Page

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:11:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 19, 2015 8:12:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

you have to configure your devices to send flow data on different ports. A different port for each device.

At the moment PRTG differs the flows not by sender IP but by port the flows are sent on.

In the PRTG sensor settings you have to change the port accordingly.

Created on Mar 23, 2010 5:44:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So if I have 40 sites, I need to have 40 different ports open on my firewall - doesn't make sense!

Created on Mar 24, 2010 1:51:26 AM

Votes:

we recommend using remote probes in the distant locations. Send the flow data to the remote probes, they will process it and send data to the core server on a dedicated port.

All remote probes can use the same port, so you will have to open only one port in your firewall,

please take a look at

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg7/multiple_probes_and_remote_probes.htm

Created on Mar 24, 2010 4:56:10 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 24, 2010 4:56:26 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Is it planned for PRTG to support netflow on one PRTG server port only?

Having to specify a different port of each remote device is not scalable for the following reasons:

1) You have to track which devices are assigned to which port, and keep that list updated.

2) You cannot push a generic netflow configlet to the remote device, but have to make individual device changes.

Both the above issues mean the netflow functionality is not suitable for an organisation with more than a handful of devices.

If PRTG used the source IP address as the device identifier (and not the port), the netflow feature of PRTG would be very useful and I think you would sell more netflow collector licenses.

Thanks Peter

Created on Apr 12, 2010 9:52:18 AM

Votes:

Such an option is already in consideration but the implementation is more complex than it may appear. We are cheking our options, cannot, however, provide a time frame for when such a feature would actually be available. Please bear with us.

Created on Apr 12, 2010 1:22:04 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Do we have an idea when this feature will become available?

Created on May 18, 2015 9:18:23 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello.

Currently the Netflow sensors have a "Sender IP" setting that you can use to bind each individual flow origin to a sensor, so you could create various Flow sensors using the same port and PRTG would use the Sender IP of the flow to account the correct data into each sensor.
Nothing stops you however from using 4 different UDP ports and leaving the "Sender IP" blank, that way all flow data on the port will be taken into account.

But, if the geographic locations are far apart (High latency) we recommend setting up a remote probe close to the Flow generating device to be the flow collector.

For further details, please check our manual pages on the flow sensors:
Netflow V9 Sensor - Manual Page
Netflow V5 Sensor - Manual Page

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 19, 2015 8:11:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jun 19, 2015 8:12:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.