What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Installation with Future Date/Time

Votes:

I noticed that the monitoring software will not function correctly when I install it on a new server and then roll back the date and time.

It appears that the program looks at the currently created database files and references them. If my installation was installed in the future (i.e. the clock was set forward to the wrong date or time) and I need to roll it back, can I simply delete the bad log files and restart the application?

What is the easiest method of restoring the functionality of the product.

Thanks!

date downtime malfunction

Created on Dec 1, 2011 7:54:12 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hallo,

stop all PRTG services,

delete evrything from the PRTG Network Monitor Folder

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\

restart the services.

PRTG should now start with a clean configuration file.

Created on Dec 2, 2011 9:33:18 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Follow up question to this old thread,

I have the same issue, a running prtg server had the wrong time/date (ahead by one day), after setting the date back one day I no longer have real-time data. Data Folder has a folder with tomorrows date in it. I'm worried that when tomorrow hits something will go wrong.

is there a way to bring the data from today (but labeled as from tomorrow) in to todays data?

Created on Jan 21, 2016 7:21:21 PM

Votes:

It's not possible to delete or change the timestamps on monitoring data. Let me try to explain this with all the details. PRTG simply does not accept monitoring data with a timestamp older than the "newest" data point of a sensor. Because it simply cannot know or decide which data or timestamp now may be valid.
This now works for both ways, accidentally wrongly set clocks forwards or backwards. So to get monitoring going again today, you have to delete the data files for the future date. Or you could also wait until tomorrow. At one point the sensors will start picking up and recording data again, once the time is later again than the then last datapoint recorded (today when the clock was mis-set).

Created on Jan 21, 2016 7:36:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for a quality reply

Created on Feb 10, 2016 3:13:03 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.