What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG can do specific TCP port auto-disvocry ?

Votes:

PRTG can do specific TCP port auto disvocry ?

I would like to monitoring Tomcat using PRTG -Monitor TCP Port 8009 (Ignore Response

I was TCP 8009 Port using a device that monitors and made ​​a template. (Create Device => Add Sensor Port 110 => Create Device Template)

And I using that templates to auto-discovery.

As a result, All Device has been added to sensor port 8009 even device that is not open port 8009

I Want to Auto-Discovery port sensor Only 8009 port listening device.

Is there a way? What should I do?

Thank you.

auto-discovery prtg tcp

Created on Dec 3, 2011 2:46:12 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid in the moment, there is no check made by the Auto-Discovery in such a case if the port is really opened when the sensor is added.

best regards.

Created on Dec 5, 2011 4:22:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Team,

has something changed in the meanwhile?

I would like having PRTG performing a TCP discovery on a list of hosts, creating relevants TCP port sensor for each host.

It should sounds like "create a TCP port sensor for each TCP service running on a device"

Might you help me writing a custom device template?

I know I'm far away from the target, but I was experimenting something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <devicetemplate id="custom" name="Pippo" priority="1">
    <check id="ping" meta="ping"/>

<create id="_port443" kind="port" requires="ping" displayname="TCP 443">
      <createdata>
        <port>
        </port>
      </createdata>
    </create>

<create id="_port443" kind="port" requires="ping" displayname="TCP 80">
      <createdata>
        <port>
        </port>
      </createdata>
    </create>

</devicetemplate>

Created on Mar 3, 2020 5:56:27 AM

Last change on Mar 3, 2020 6:02:37 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

There is still no port check which enforced a variable sensor creation only when a certain port is reachable. Why don't you just create a regular device template including the Port Sensor and apply it to the devices that you want to have the sensors?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 3, 2020 1:30:25 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.