What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor issue

Votes:

The Sensor reports "8 Errors (Replication) is above the error limit of 0 Errors". But by using the command line i.e. repadmin /replsummary *, there are zero errors. The sensor/device authentication is set up to the domain admin acc.

wish you a nice day.

active-directory-replication prtg9 sensor

Created on Dec 13, 2011 12:17:47 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

This one is rather straight forward.

- Get the domain controller for the given domain name

- Invoke Knowledge Consistency Checker (kcc)

- Enumerate all other domain controllers that are known to the domain controller for errors

- Report the total error count to PRTG

See also http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.directoryservices.activedirectory.domaincontroller.checkreplicationconsistency(v=vs.90).aspx

please try to run the ADSReplFailures.exe from command line to check which DC reports the errors.

file should be in the PRTG Program folder

e.g. C:\Program Files\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System

Created on Dec 21, 2011 2:09:11 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

A completely new AD Replication sensor is available since

PRTG Network Monitor 14.2.9.1690

Created on Apr 9, 2014 9:40:46 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am also having this error. Using a Domain Admin works fine, using our PRTG monitoring account which has access to Monitor Active Directory Replication gets and error.

Does anyone know what other permissions I need to give to my monitoring account to use this sensor?

Google and other kb articles don't give anything other than use a Domain Admin (*would prefer not to) or add the monitor setting as above.

Created on Dec 15, 2020 12:28:29 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the post.

We recommend to use an administrative account, since the certain user rights are not known. Did you already tried to use an user which has full read rights?

Created on Dec 18, 2020 7:41:34 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Moritz - I used an account will full read rights and it didn't work, then tried with my Domain Admin account and it works fine.

I don't really want to use a Domain Admin account for this sensor.

Created on Dec 23, 2020 4:10:38 AM

Votes:

Hello,

The needed permissions are set by Microsoft so there is not much we can do about it. Unfortunately, Microsoft is not very clear about what exact permissions a user needs for this, which is why we recommend using a domain admin.

Created on Dec 23, 2020 2:46:03 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.