What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor esx with load balancing servers

Votes:

I have two ESX servers that are set to load balance the virtual servers. For example, when one virtual server on one ESX box uses a lot of cpu then the high priority servers "moves" to the second ESX server. This in turn makes it look like it's offline on the first ESX server (and will not show up on the second ESX server). Is there any way I can manage this so that it will not alert me if a server goes down if it's just moved to the other ESX server?

esx4 prtg9 vmware

Created on Jan 5, 2012 4:42:24 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the key for monitoring virtual machines with Vmotion is to add the Virtual Center Server as a device in PRTG, and then add the sensors for the virtual machines to this one.

best regards.

Created on Jan 6, 2012 9:15:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

I tried to do that but when I try to add a VM (SOAP) sensor I can't select any virtual machines. I have around 30 of them though. Do these need to be added separately somehow before adding it to the esx server as a sensor?

Created on Jan 9, 2012 10:38:10 AM

Votes:

Do you use the correct credentials? Usually on the vCenter Server you need to use the Active Directory credentials.

Created on Jan 9, 2012 2:13:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.