What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG identify who an SSL cert is issued to?

Votes:

I'm using the SSL Cert Expiry sensor in PRTG. I like the sensor, but it doesn't tell me what certificate is being used on the URL the sensor checks. Is there another sensor that can display the detailed fields of the certifcate, such as Issuer, Issued To, Valid From, and Thumbprint?

certificate http-ssl-certificate-expiry ssl

Created on Jan 12, 2012 8:32:35 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid there is no such sensor at the moment.
Best regards

Created on Jan 13, 2012 8:46:18 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Amy,

Maybe a silly question, by why would you want to monitor static data? Things like Issuer, Issued To, Valid From are not likely to change.

Regards,

Created on Jan 13, 2012 9:01:14 AM

Votes:

We manage 20+ wildcard certs across a couple hundred sites. Tracking which cert belongs to which URL has led to human error and resulted in certificates expiring. The cert expiry sensor is great because it tells me which certs are expiring. Knowing which cert I need to renew and apply to that particular URL without logging into the webservers would be convenient.

Created on Jan 13, 2012 2:29:10 PM

Votes:

Hi Amy,

Retreiving this information will be no issue. The problem here is that sensors can only report numeric values to PRTG. Will it be an option to manually enter this information on the sensors note page?

Regards,

Created on Jan 13, 2012 3:06:35 PM

Votes:

It's possible, but I was looking for a fully automated method within PRTG. I can spend some time writing PowerShell scripts to grab this info without using PRTG, but I wanted to avoid that if the same functionality existed in a PRTG sensor. Thanks for the responses.

Created on Jan 13, 2012 3:59:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.