What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring amazon server locally

Votes:

Currently we have PRTG running in our server room, where is away from where Amazon cloud. We have some Windows servers (EC2) running in west California region.

I tried to add an Amazon windows server as device in PRTG. When I placed a sensor to the server, it showed an error message, which is : "Connection could not be established (Port Error 135: RPC Server not accessible. - Host: 50.18.176.88, User: administrator, Password: **, Domain: ntlmdomain:50.18.176.88) (code: PE015) "

The user and password is what I use to connect to remote desktop.

How can I monitor an Amazon cloud windows server locally? I don't want to install remote agent on the cloud server.

Thank you.

amazon cloud windows

Created on Jan 16, 2012 2:42:09 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please be aware that RDP and WMI are different things, and it's likely that only RDP is allowed through the firewalls there, whereas WMI Requests are blocked. You can use our WMI Tester and scan against this particular target, to rule out a problem in PRTG, but I would presume that simply the WMI requests are blocked somewhere down the road.

best regards.

Created on Jan 16, 2012 2:03:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Torsten,

I just had a try and was able to use a RDP sensor. Looks like WMI is still blocked. Does this mean I can't monitor CPU, memory, storage etc. ?

Created on Jan 16, 2012 9:20:07 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid so yes, unless you'd install a Remote Probe.

Created on Jan 17, 2012 1:32:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.