What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Duplicate object & undo functions in map designer?

Votes:

Hi,

Any plan to add either of these functions to the map designer?:

• ability to quickly duplicate an object (select an object, click "duplicate", it creates a copy of it - better yet, just ctrl-drag & drop to make a copy)
  • Undo last change: even just 1-3 levels of undo would be awfully nice.

Thanks.

duplicate maps undo

Created on Jan 16, 2012 5:23:31 PM

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Tim,

unfortunately, the 'UnDo' is a very tricky one (otherwise, you would see it already), so it's on the wishlist already. We'll put the 'cloning' of map-objects there as well. Thanks for the feedback!

best regards.

Created on Jan 16, 2012 7:52:33 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any chance that the cloning of map objects will be added soon? Still not seeing in PRTG Network Monitor 12.3.1.2420. Thanks, Tim

Created on Sep 22, 2012 12:15:59 AM

Votes:

Sorry, Tim, we don't have an ETA for this. Still 'only' on the wishlist.

Created on Sep 24, 2012 8:41:21 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Another vote for object-cloning and undo in the map designer :)

It would also be great if we could select multiple objects in the map view and move them, delete them, clone them etc at the same time.

Created on Jul 12, 2015 9:37:55 PM

Votes:

I recommend having, 1) Copy paste / cloning feature in the Map designer, 2) I recommend having Containers option as well, Like I create an Object box and then add some graphs into it, when I move the Box the graphs should also move along it.

Created on May 2, 2016 2:45:04 PM

Votes:

I feel I must be missing something here. Is there really no "commit changes", or "are you sure?" verification step or undo available? One accidental press of the delete button and the highlighted object is gone?

I had a fairly complex custom HTML object to create a table to meet a specific "dashboard" requirement. Must have had it highlighted, dragged a new sensor on top, it was the wrong sensor, but when I dragged in onto the map it didn't become the the selected object. Pressed "delete" and poof, my custom HTML is gone.

Couple issues:

1) When an item is dragged onto the map, it should be the selected object 2) When pressing "delete" (other actions?) there should be a confirmation 3) I understand there are issues with "undo" or even needing to save/commit changes, but this would be ideal. Withough those the above become more critical.

Created on May 5, 2016 7:52:08 PM

Votes:

Quote from Curtis Kayfish
"I feel I must be missing something here. Is there really no "commit changes", or "are you sure?" verification step or undo available? One accidental press of the delete button and the highlighted object is gone?"

That is correct. It's a wysiwyg editor after all. Since we're planning to redesign the map designer over the course of the year, we'll take user input into account when forging it :)

Created on May 6, 2016 7:36:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I created a complex map 2 years ago which is visible for everybody 24/7 on a big monitor in our office. Now I have to add some objects which have to look exactly like the already existing ones but I can't remember how to create them. What I really need is the possibility to duplicate objects and undo my modifications. Working with the map designer is a mess and not up to date :-(

Created on Jun 28, 2018 8:35:27 AM

Votes:

Hi Michael,

The easiest way would be to actually clone the map and remove not needed objects. In order to clone a map, select it in the list first and then clone it via the context menu:

There already is an undo function, but it's a bit hidden in plain sight at the bottom left corner:

Simply hit the corresponding arrows to undo/redo the action(s).

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2018 10:40:24 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.