What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reset channel on a custom snsor

Votes:

I use an XML Custom EXE/Script Sensor. In my sensor, I have a lot of channel. There is a way to "rebuild" the list of channel ?

I want to clear the list of channel on every run of my Custom Script.

Thanks !

channel delete xml

Created on Jan 24, 2012 10:14:14 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

once a channel exists it cannot be removed. The channels of a sensors can't be rebuilt in that sense.

best regards.

Created on Jan 24, 2012 2:01:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I can not rebuilt the channel, what I need to do ? I need to clone my sensor on every script run ?

Created on Jan 24, 2012 2:17:34 PM

Votes:

Well, either keep the channels you already have, or use a new sensor.

Created on Jan 24, 2012 2:22:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can I make that with the API of PRTG ?

Created on Jan 24, 2012 2:29:20 PM

Votes:

You can clone an existing sensor via the API but that will also clone the current channels on that sensor.

Created on Jan 24, 2012 2:35:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there a way to recreate a custom sensor with the API?

Created on Jan 24, 2012 4:20:49 PM

Votes:

Hi Sebastien

Create a new instance of your custom sensor and set it to pause before it runs. This way it will not create any channels. Next use the API to clone this sensor:

/api/duplicateobject.htm?id=id_of_sensor_to_clone&name=new_name&targetid=id_of_target_device

and use the API again to change settings for this cloned sensor.

Keep the original sensor paused and use it again the next time.

Regards,

Created on Jan 24, 2012 7:05:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.