What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

wmi checks periodically "access is denied"

Votes:

Hello,

We have one Windows Server 2008R2 which we check with some wmi monitors (cpu/diskspace/...). Now every few times a day these monitors return the error: error 80070005: Access is denied. The timing and duration of the error state is completely random. The server uses the same group settings as the other server which check fine. There is no firewall active on the server and it is set up with it's IP so I don't think it's a DNS issue. Last time when the monitors were in this error state, I checked the server with the wmi test tool and it did return some wmi values. Using "localhost" as "domain or computer name" always returns an "Access is denied" error.

Anyone had this issue before?

80070005 random wmi

Created on Jan 25, 2012 8:48:13 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
please have a look at this article and see the section 80070005 - Access is denied and 80041003 - Access Denied.

Best regards

Created on Jan 25, 2012 12:16:26 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well the KB just states: If this error shows up and vanishes again sporadically then we have no explanation at the moment, as PRTG only reports the error the Windows System has encountered.

Maybe some PRTG users did find a solution/workaround?

Created on Jan 25, 2012 12:22:26 PM

Votes:

I have exactly the same problem related to access denied that sporadically happens, and when this happens many wmi sensor will go down to make the use of wmi sensor unusable Trying to check wmi using wmi test will result in correct working even if prtg report 80070005 - Access is denied. Is possible in any way to verify if prtg use the credential i have specified in the setting, or it's using something different.

Created on Aug 8, 2012 3:32:07 PM

Votes:

Hi,
basically WMI queries in PRTG are made via the Windows API using the credentials you provided in PRTG. When the error occurs the error message is directly from Windows and its WMI subsystems and not created by PRTG.
As mentioned in the article, when the errors occur sporadically we don't have any explanation for this. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Aug 9, 2012 7:38:52 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.