What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

9.2 - ESXi Monitoring

Votes:

Hi - Can anyone provide instructions as to how to properly monitor ESXi 5 in version 9.2?

I have the new VMWare Host Server (SOAP) sensor querying my VCenter host, and that seems to work fine to display CPU, Memory, and a few other pieces of information.

What I'm not clear on is how to query host hardware and disk space usage with ESXi.

The Host Hardware (WBEM) sensor picks up very few pieces of information when querying the hosts themselves, and trying to query VCenter doesn't work. These are on Dell PE2950 servers with the latest version of OpenManage installed and confirmed working. VCenter itself shows host hardware status without any issues, so the info is there, it's just a matter of getting it into PRTG.

Also, how is the ESXi Disk sensor supposed to work? It requires SSH which isn't possible on ESXi hosts. I've tried using it against both my VCenter and vMA appliance, and neither works.

Thanks, James

ssh vmware wbem

Created on Jan 26, 2012 2:42:51 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi James, I may be way off but what version are you using ? This is from "version history" page: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/prtg9history

January 24th 2012 - Version 9.2.0.2124/2125 More than 400 changes since V9.1.6 released December 15th New: [Sensors] VMware 5 support

Perhaps that is a problem :O) Can't confirm as my vmware is ver. 3 and 4 and it works well.

Created on Jan 31, 2012 10:25:04 AM

Votes:

Yeah, I'm already on 9.2.

It would be helpful if someone from Paessler could reply here since ESXi 5 monitoring is a major addition to 9.2 and some direction would help make the most of it.

As far as I can tell, PRTG does a MUCH better job on ESX 4.x than on 5.

James

Created on Jan 31, 2012 1:51:53 PM

Votes:

hallo,

we first wanted to be able to have all sensors we have for vSpher4 to work with vSpher5.

This is accomplished in PRTG 9.2. Now we will add more hardware support sensors.

Created on Feb 5, 2012 9:56:38 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the additional support going forward.

Created on Feb 6, 2012 12:48:10 PM

Votes:

Use free Commandline-Tool HPRSMCLI from HP, get with this all hardware-, and sensor-information in a xml and create in PRTG a File-Content Sensor to look for specified Text "Logical Disk is operating properly" in the xml.

Tips:

Use the SAS or SA Filter by the Commandline-Tool to reduze the reurned Informations in the XML-File. Write the Response in a temporary XML, when complets delete the produktive xml and rename the temporary to production xml. This is needed because PRTG cannod read in the File when the HP Tool write in this and put the Sensor in Error-State.

We have running this Solution for many Systems with free vSphere Hypervisor 5.

Hope this helps Best Regards Guido

Created on Apr 26, 2012 5:00:57 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.