What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do i monitor failover connections on a firewall?

Votes:

I have two internet providers. The firewall is configured in fail over mode which only allows for one connection to be operational at a time. I would like to have a red light/green light for internet connectivity and still track up/down times on both providers. Ideally i would like to see the following.

• Primary up / secondary down = Good
  • Secondary up / Primary down = Good
  • Both Primary and secondary down = Bad

in addition i would like to reverse the logic of the secondary connection to receive a notification if it is online. I will get an alert if the primary goes down and would like confirmation that the secondary has come up.

notification prtg snmp

Created on Jan 30, 2012 6:56:38 PM

Last change on Nov 9, 2015 1:30:56 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

create sensors for all lines and then take a look at the Define Sensor Status—status() Function

of the sensor factory sensor.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/sensor_factory_sensor.htm

Created on Jan 31, 2012 1:15:57 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Please refer to the following article for details about monitoring failover internet links:

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 11, 2015 12:09:15 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.