What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What is the best practice to provide a customer access to their sensors only?

Votes:

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best way to provide my customers access to their circuit's sensors, making sure they can see only their circuit and not the others.

access customer login prtg rights sensor user

Created on Mar 25, 2010 6:52:14 PM

Last change on Mar 29, 2010 9:37:12 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Restricting User Access in PRTG

• In PRTG's web interface, create one user and one user group for each of your customers. See manual section User Management for more details.
  • Then, define access rights for each element (for example a sensor) in your device/sensor tree. To do so, enter an object's settings, remove the check mark in front of the Inherit Access Rights option and define which user group should see the object. Note: You can also define access rights on a higher level (for example for a group) and inherit these rights to all objects further down in the hierarchy.

Please note: You should avoid setting many different access rights for one object, as this may slow down PRTG's web server performance considerably. If you experience problems, please see How can I speed up PRTG - especially for large installations?

Created on Mar 26, 2010 10:55:30 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 26, 2010 12:30:03 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.