What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setup Notifications for when top device goes down

Votes:

We have a network map setup for our locations like this:

ISP(LAN\WAN) -> Sonicwall Router(LAN/WAN)->Switch->Wireless Aceess Points

I want to setup notifcations to where if the ISP I am monitoring goes down, then I receive email notifcations from that, but not all the other devices connected to it. I have it set for inheritance right now, but if the ISP goes down, my other decives go down and I will receive up to 10 notifications.

Now if the sonicwall router goes down, I want to receive that notifcation but not any for the switch or wireless access points. So I want the notifications to be dependant upon each other. So if I received one from ISP, I don't from the others. It seems like right now it is either no notifications or I receive them all. Is there a way to set this up so this can be accomplished? Thank You.

dependency inheritance notifications

Created on Jan 31, 2012 4:00:05 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

to achieve this you need to work with cascading groups and then with the dependency. So that you can set each 'sub-group' dependent on the device that is physically before this group (and also to keep the option of having each ping sensor on each device to be the 'master object for parent'). For example if you create a subgroup beneath the Sonicwall router with the Switches and Wireless APs, you can make this sub-group dependent on the ping-sensor of the router. If the router then goes down, the sub-group will be paused, and so all devices and sensors in it, and you should not receive notifications from those.

best regards.

Created on Jan 31, 2012 6:16:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Right now I have 4 Groups: ISP, Routers, Switches and WAP's. These have all of our stores sensors for those specific devices. If I put those groups inside each other, will that work or will I have to make groups specifically for each Store? For example, the Firewall group holds all the sensors for all our 10 stores each with one router. If I put the router group, inside the ISP,Switch inside the router etc, will that make a difference if two stores go down at the same time or will I have to make a top group for each store and put the devices in a hierachy from there? Thank You for your help.

Created on Jan 31, 2012 6:45:09 PM

Votes:

You would need to create separate groups for the stores, otherwise you might pause all other stores as well, if only one store's router goes down.

Created on Feb 1, 2012 2:43:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok. Thank You for the help. I will seperate the stores into seperate groups.

Created on Feb 1, 2012 2:44:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.