What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Edit PRTG Configuration.dat File

Votes:

I would like to be able to open the configuration.dat file in a XML editor such as Microsofts XML Notepad 2007. I have used this is the past to create over 1000 sensors for different sites quite easily.

We need to make more changes to PRTG but since we have upgraded to version 9.2 we get an error message when loading the files:

Name Cannot begin with the '1' Character, Hexidecimal value 0x31. Line 4068, Position 30.

I have checked that line and it is as follows:
<100percent>

If I change that line to something else itfind another line with a different issue.

Has anyone got a XML tool that allows me to open a file with around 1.6million rows.

configuration-dat edit xml

Created on Feb 1, 2012 2:48:24 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

I am facing the need to add and maintain groups, devices and sensors by editing the configuration file myself. I ran into the same issue you did with XML Notepad.

At the suggestion of our web developer I downloaded and installed Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web. It is free and I have been able to use it to add a few sensors and devices in a test environment and so far is working as expected.

What I'd really like to do though is find a way to do this sort of thing with a script.

I'd be very interested in sharing experiences and ideas with you on this.

Created on Dec 13, 2012 5:19:41 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.