What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error stating probe - QoS Packet Scheduler Issue

Votes:

When I try to start a remote probe, I get the error message "Could not initialize Traffic Control API: Error reading interface list, make sure QoS Packet Scheduler is active for this interface."

probe qos traffic-control-api

Created on Feb 1, 2012 3:21:38 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this message does not prevent the Probe Service from starting, this is only a message that due to the underlying OS (XP or 2003) a certain feature for the QoS-Sensor will not be available (which is to set the 'ToS'-value for this sensor's packets).

best regards.

Created on Feb 1, 2012 5:07:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The problem is, the remote probe shows disconnected, and will not monitor sensors that are on the probe.

Created on Feb 1, 2012 7:47:02 PM

Votes:

Could you please forward us your system log files from this very probe for analysis via email to [email protected]? You will find the log files within the data directory as defined under the "Core Server" tab of the "PRTG Server Administrator" tool, or in the following default paths:

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)
Vista/2008/Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please be aware that it might also be a 'V7' or a 'V8'-folder in which then the "Logs (System)"-folder resides. You can also use the option to upload the logs to our FTP-Server, using the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the tab "Logs" in the "PRTG Server Admin Tool".

Created on Feb 2, 2012 3:06:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The upload from the software requires a Ticket number? Can you generate a ticket number so I can upload them from there?

Created on Feb 2, 2012 3:35:29 PM

Votes:

You can leave the Ticketnumber field empty if you do not have one so far.

Created on Feb 2, 2012 3:41:10 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm having the same issue. What was the solution?

Created on Mar 20, 2014 3:28:29 PM

Votes:

Matt, we would need your logfiles to see that. Please send them to us as outlined above.

Created on Mar 20, 2014 4:00:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.