What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor devices by Cluster

Votes:

Hi, I'm thought at the Cluster for my PRTG monitor but I have some doubts about how the behavior PRTG when I start the failover node. for exemplo, my failover it is without any device regitered so when it into in the cluster what will it happen ? I have many devices with netflows I have to configuration that devices to forward netflows to my new node failover ?

thanks

cluster prtg8 prtg9

Created on Feb 7, 2012 11:17:44 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you need to move all devices from the Local Probe of the Master Node in your PRTG Cluster to the "Cluster Probe", then all these devices will be monitored by all nodes in your PRTG Cluster. Unfortunately, Netflow-Sensors cannot be used on the Cluster Probe. They need to stay on Remote Probes or the Local Probe of the Master node.

best regards.

Created on Feb 8, 2012 3:52:10 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks....

about notifications....my Remote probe ( failover node ) it will is in other Data-Center so I have a doubt when an interface device go down for failover node but it is up to master node what is happen ? there will be triggers notifications ?

Created on Feb 8, 2012 5:27:48 PM

Votes:

You cannot run a Remote Probe on a PC/Server which also runs a Failover Node. The Failover Node has its own Local Probe which it needs to monitor. If a sensor is only down for one node in a PRTG Cluster it will go down in a "Partial Down"-State. State Triggers on condition DOWN will then not become active, but State Triggers on condition PARTIAL DOWN will.

Created on Feb 8, 2012 6:13:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello, sorry for return again about that tick but I need an new doubt.

when my master machine of the cluster go down my failover machine will keep on monitor the devices ?

there is any problem the cluster to be without the master machine for a short period ?

thanks

Created on Apr 1, 2013 5:12:12 PM

Votes:

There should not be any issues with the Master Probe being down for a short time. All of the remote probes will continue to collect data and when the Master Probe is back up, they will send their data to the Master Probe and it will be written to the database. The remote probes will only do this up to a specified maximum of 500Mb or 500,000 requests. Once that limit is reached it will truncate the old data and there may be gaps in your historical data.

When the master node is down, the failover will continue to collect data from the sensors and will send it to the master node once it is functioning. The failover does not have a maximum like the Remote probes do.

Created on Apr 2, 2013 12:24:01 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thank you

the netflow doesn't possible to put it in cluster, right ??

Devices in the cluster are only to gets SNMPs, right ??

if I want two PRTG server recevering netflows data I need two licence ? if yes, How I can get that other licence ?

thanks

Created on Apr 2, 2013 1:37:41 PM

Votes:

If you set up a cluster with a failover node and you create a Netflow sensor, you can set up your Netflow sensor to go to a remote probe which can then report that to the Master Probe or you can set up the Netflow sensor to report to the local probe on the Master Probe. Under these configurations you would not have two servers monitoring the Netflow data but the data would still be within PRTG.

If you have Probes that are set up in a cluster, they will be able to receive SNMP traffic as well as WMI, SOAP and all other traffic aside from Netflow.

If you wanted to have 2 different servers receiving Netflow information then yes, you would need to purchase 2 core licenses and set them up as independent Core installations.

Created on Apr 2, 2013 2:28:52 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, sorry but I did understand your answer:

If you set up a cluster with a failover node and you create a Netflow sensor, you can set up your Netflow sensor to go to a remote probe which can then report that to the Master Probe

you meaning it's possible viewer flows from my node remote failover if I configure my devices to send netflows to my failover node so it will be report to my master too ?

thanks

Created on Apr 3, 2013 1:23:58 AM

Votes:

If you have a cluster with a remote failover, you cannot send Netflows to either of these installations. You would need to set up an additional Remote Probe then you can send your Netflows to the Remote Probe and see them in your Core PRTG installation.

Remote Probe Installation

A Remote Probe is a different device than a Remote Failover.

Created on Apr 3, 2013 10:45:17 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thank you!

how the licence is tied with the hardware of the machine ?

I need reinstall the PRTG in other server machine, do you have any tip ?

thanks

Created on Apr 3, 2013 12:20:37 PM

Votes:

Depending on the license that you purchased, you can install PRTG on two servers, one core and one failover. Also, you are allowed to install as many remote probes as you would like. To see a breakdown of the licenses, please see here:

Licensing Differences

If you need to install PRTG on another server just follow this guide:

Migrate PRTG

Created on Apr 3, 2013 12:39:25 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 3, 2013 12:39:37 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.